ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL South Bank Centre Belvedere Road SE1 8XX Architects Leslie Martin, Robert Matthew, Peter Moro & Edwin Williams 1951
Completed in 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain and dubbed the ‘People’s Palace’. The RFH became a Grade 1 listed building in 1988, the first post-war building to be granted this status.
‘This building is made to work for people; an effortless movement of space on different levels, carpeted and comfortable. Everything speaks of the designers’ thought and touch, from the auditorium to the door handles.’ — MARGARET HOWELL